The bachelor first semester ended on February 28th 2014. It has very enriching even though it has been a little difficult. I chose to study quantitative sciences and actuarial finance at INSTEC. They put together specific subjects like actuaries, money market, insurance, financial engineering, etc …. I admit that for the time being, I haven’t really decided what will be my field. I hesitate between actuaries which are not really developed in Côte d’Ivoire, but which is proving importance in banks and insurance companies, and financial engineering which is best known. Otherwise, I think that I will have a clear vision and I shall tell you my choice at the end of the academic year.
The subjects were totally different from what we have seen during past years, they were mostly general studies. Nevertheless, subjects like financial management, operational research and English were not really new to me. I have learned them before. It is also important to say that this year, even if each field has his own subjects, we have some core subjects which are finance and accounting, quantitative sciences, actuaries, international trade and logistics and marketing.
In this way, as core subjects, we studied
- Business English
- Financial management, precisely investment that is: what investment is, why invest, different type of investment, distinguishing features of investment and the choice of an investment project between two ;
- Recording which has been a completely new exercise to me. It consists in synthetic and critical analysis of many documents talking about the same theme from different point of view.
- Management control which is compulsory for every company in so far as we need it to get to control of the cost caused by production for an industrial company or by distribution for a commercial enterprise.
- The analysis of organizational structures enabled us to know the different organizational structures that can serve as the basis to a company to establish the appropriate strategies.
- The basic elements of strategies showed us what marketing strategies was, how to analyze strategically the strengths and the weaknesses of a product while determining the opportunities and the threats for this product in respect of competition from other products. It aims to manage cost and make it profitable.
- Special contract law where we focused on bill of sale and professional lease;
- And tax system with the study of different taxes applicable to the commercial activities of a country.
On the second semester, we had our specific subjects, more technical and mathematical. Among them we studied numerical analysis to work effectively on matrix, operational research and differential calculus.
To sum up, I can say this semester has been positive, especially the core subjects which I have perfectly understood. The specific subjects have been more difficult for me, but I know that I will get through even if the most difficult is to come. For the moment we are waiting for the end-of-term examination results. I hope I will validate all the credits.